Our Building Surveying team are highly skilled professionals with an in-depth understanding of structural matters along with a thorough knowledge of construction techniques and materials.

Building Surveying services covering the South West

The in-depth understanding of structural matters along with a thorough knowledge of construction techniques and materials puts our Building Surveyors in the ideal position to help clients with building projects, where there may be all sorts of technical issues to consider along with planning, neighbourly matters and budgets to manage. Projects can go off track quickly if the schedule of works isn’t being tightly managed, including supervising and monitoring the quality of work being done.

Projects - Vickery Holman

Helping clients achieve their goals is important, as is our ambition to keep projects on track and within budget. One of the main advantages of working with our Building Surveying team is that delays and over-pricing are less likely, which saves money for our clients in the long term.

We provide a range of services within the broad category of projects from scoping and specifying small, lower value works to larger, complex works requiring commissioning and management of technical consultants generally with value limit of £4 million.

Over the past decade, Vickery Holman has completed a range of new build projects including an airport terminal building, a block of studios for the creative industries, hotel accommodation, special needs school extension and a range of industrial buildings.

Our Building Surveyors are members of the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) meaning that we work to the highest standards, and we adhere to a strict professional code of conduct, including being completely open and transparent with our clients. Our Building Surveyors are often called up to work as Expert Witnesses, as their professional opinion is respected and valued by their peers and the courts. 

Key Contacts

Projects Case Studies

Projects FAQs

A building surveyor is responsible for assessing the quality and condition of buildings, for example historic buildings, hotels, leisure complexes, houses and commercial properties. Building surveyors are a crucial part of any construction or property maintenance team, advising on safety issues, tenders, contractors, maintenance schedules, energy regulations, boundaries, party walls and licences, as well as project managing building schemes. They will also advise on the condition of properties in relation to leases to provide dilapidation assessments for landlords and tenants, or in relation to contracts, should there be disputes between parties. To be a building surveyor, you need a degree in building surveying or a postgraduate conversion course accredited by RICS. 

Since anyone can call themselves a surveyor, if you want a qualified building surveyor, you need to make sure that they do have the RICS accreditation. 

Dilapidations refers to the condition of a property which has been let to a tenant and includes the condition both during and after the period of the tenancy. Lease agreements stipulate the levels of repair or maintenance that is required during, or on completion, of a tenancy. These are called dilapidations and relate to any breaches of the obligations of the tenant to repair, redecorate or reinstate elements of the property. Landlords and tenants can disagree on the levels of work required during, or on giving notice on a lease, and it’s worthwhile getting expert advice from a building surveyor before entering into a lease, as well as during, or at the lease end, as costs can be significant for either landlord or tenant. 

When a tenant gives notice to their landlord, they will have to comply with the dilapidations clauses in their lease. It’s a good idea for a tenant to commission a Dilapidations Liability Assessment in order to allow a tenant to budget for repairs or decoration costs before they end the lease. A tenant who has ‘to keep in repair’ may find they incur considerable costs, so it’s worth having your lease evaluated before you sign it. Tenants often feel that repairs required are less than the landlord will ask for, which can lead to a dispute. Our building surveyors can advise you on defects and fabric repairs along with the impact on value. 

A tenant is responsible for maintaining the property during their tenancy but not for improving the property or carrying out work on the exterior. As the end of a tenancy approaches, it is recommended that landlords appoint a RICS building surveyor to carry out a dilapidation survey, and to present the tenant with a Schedule of Dilapidations in advance of the lease ending. The intended use of the property may affect the extent of work that a tenant may be required to undertake. If a financial settlement is to be agreed (as opposed to the landlord undertaking work of repair at the end of the lease) the money to be paid by the tenant might be limited to the loss in value to the property as opposed to the cost of repairs. Landlords usually want a property ready to go back on the market as fast as possible, so agreeing the work in advance is sensible. There is the possibility, in some leases, for a landlord to undertake work on behalf of the tenant prior to the lease end and recover this money via the lease. Careful assessment of the options available to a Landlord in advance of the lease end is advised. 

A Party Wall Agreement is compulsory for anyone carrying out physical construction on site, where they share a wall with a neighbour. A formal written notice needs to be submitted, preferably a few months before the work starts. Typical projects requiring a Party Wall Agreement are foundations, loft conversions, extensions and removing a chimney stack. 

If you do the work without a Party Wall Agreement, your neighbour can seek a Court Injunction to stop you proceeding. If any damage is incurred to your neighbour’s property, and there was no Party Wall Agreement, you may have to pay additional costs in compensation. 

There is no formal qualification to be a Party Wall Surveyor, even a chartered surveyor may not be conversant with the Party Wall etc Act, you should ensure any advice you receive is from a suitably experienced surveyor, other affiliations such as being a member of the Pyramus and Thisbe Club may also indicate a surveyors interest and wider involvement in the Act. 

If your neighbour is starting work that is along your boundary or along a shared wall, and the work is covered by the Party Wall etc Act 1996, but you have not been served Notice, we recommend you talk to your neighbour immediately and ask if they intend to serve a Party Wall Notice. While you can decide to consent anyway, you must be given the opportunity to consent or not. If you are concerned, work is proceeding without notice or agreement, the remedy is to apply for a Court Injunction to halt the work. If damage is incurred by you, and the neighbour didn’t apply for a Party Wall Agreement, the Courts will nearly always favour the other party over the neighbour who has not been compliant with the Party Wall Act. 

To resolve a boundary dispute requires a lot of patience and attention to detail. The cases can be very complicated, which is why we recommend using an experienced surveyor to advise you. Land Registry offers a process for resolving disputes, but it’s still worth getting expert advice on the validity of your claim. RICS have a mediation service to help neighbours avoid litigation, which can be a good option since it explores the dispute and helps both parties achieve an outcome that suits everyone. 

RICS Registered Valuers are the recommended route for an impartial, informed valuation on your commercial property. Vickery Holman has one of the largest team of RICS Registered Valuers in the South West with over 20 valuers. Our team benefit from in-depth local knowledge as well as our shared regional knowledge. 

RICS Registered Valuers are the recommended route for an impartial, informed valuation on your commercial property. Vickery Holman has one of the largest team of RICS Registered Valuers in the South West with over 20 valuers. Our team benefit from in-depth local knowledge as well as our shared regional knowledge. 

Our RICS qualified building surveyors can assess the condition of your property and draw up a schedule of maintenance including time and costs required. Owners or tenants can put in place a Planned Preventative Maintenance schedule, allowing them to budget and plan for ongoing maintenance. 

An Expert Witness is a highly experienced and qualified surveyor who can give evidence in a court or at a tribunal, on matters regarding land, property or construction. Disputes can arise during any property project and may be based around matters involving boundaries, access, planning, valuations, dilapidations or damage incurred. Vickery Holman has a team of expert witnesses who have a large area of specialisms and experience. 

See what our clients say about us